From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
The Fleming Estate's property at Binstead on the Isle of Wight Estates included the Manor of Binstead, Binstead village, and nearly all of the land within the wider parish of Binstead at Quarr and Fishbourne. At different times Binstead Cottage, Binstead Lodge, and Binstead House were the Island homes of the Willis Fleming family in the 17th to early 20th centuries. In 1874, the Fleming Estate in the whole Parish of Binstead comprised 158 tenements. Binstead village was a small hamlet in the early 19th century, but later developed along the new main road. The Binstead quarries were active for many centuries, until the early 20th century. Farms at Binstead included Binstead Bargain, Binstead Farm, Binstead Lodge Farm, an unnamed farm near Binstead Church, and Caves Farm near Common Pits.
Manor of Binstead
The manor was acquired by Sir Thomas Fleming in 1609, with other possessions of the former Quarr Abbey. The Victoria County History (1912) says of the manor: " It was granted in 1544 to Sir William Berkeley, who sold it in the same year to John Mill of Southampton. It then passed with Nursling to Sir Richard Mill, by whom it was sold in 1609–10 to Sir Thomas Fleming. The manor has since followed the same descent as North Stoneham (q.v.) and now belongs to Mr. John Edward Arthur Willis-Fleming, the present representative of the family, who has a residence at Binstead House."
The manorial lordship of Binstead was sold in June 1991.
- Admission of James Horton at Binstead, 1721 (WFMS:494 | IOWRO FLM/20)
- Admission of James Naker at Binstead, 1723 (WFMS:498 | IOWRO FLM/24)
- Admission of James Barton at Binstead, 1730 (WFMS:496 | IOWRO FLM/22)
- Extracts from Court roll of Binstead giving details of Young and Barton family, c1730 (WFMS:658 | IOWRO FLM/182)
- Court Leet and Court Baron of Binstead, Combley, Quarr, Newnham, 1731 (WFMS:479 | IOWRO FLM/5)
- Admission of Henry Rawkins at Binstead, 1734 (WFMS:490 | IOWRO FLM/16)
- Summons to tenants to appear at the Court Leet and Court Baron of the manors of Binstead, Combley, Quarr and Newnham, 1736 (WFMS:488 | IOWRO FLM/14)
- Court Leet and Court Baron of Binstead, Combley, Quarr and Newnham, 1737 (WFMS:486 | IOWRO FLM/12)
- List of inhabitants of Binstead and Quarr Tithings, 1737 (WFMS:475 | IOWRO FLM/1)
- Court Leet and Court Baron of Binstead, Combley, Quarr and Newnham, 1737 (WFMS:476 | IOWRO FLM/2)
- List of inhabitants of Binstead tithing, 1739 (WFMS:481 | IOWRO FLM/7)
- List of inhabitants of Binstead tithing, 1742 (WFMS:483 | IOWRO FLM/9)
- Court Leet and Court Baron of Binstead, Combley, Quarr and Newnham, 1742 (WFMS:492 | IOWRO FLM/18)
- Court Leet and Court Baron of Binstead, Combley, Quarr and Newnham, 1743 (WFMS:491 | IOWRO FLM/17)