From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
The central and southern parts of present-day Havenstreet were purchased in the 1840s: the 'Leopards & Speeds' estate was acquired around 1841, including Leopards Farm and Speeds Farm, and probably also the White Hart public house and several cottages; the 'Pondcast & Downers' estate was acquired around 1846 by Thomas Willis Fleming, including Pondcast Farm and Downers Farm, and three cottages.
Estate plans of Havenstreet
- ↑ Although 'Haven Street' was in common usage, this site uses the more modern 'Havenstreet' as the standard spelling.
- ↑ William Taylor of Coppid Hall, in 1845, leased from Thomas James Willis Fleming farms and lands called Coxfords and Barkhams, with Leapers and Speeds. IOWRO FAR/DD/49
- ↑ In 1847, these areas are described, perhaps rather hopefully, as the 'manors' of Lespards and Pondcast.
- ↑ 'A site for the church and burial ground has been liberally promised by Thomas Willis Fleming, esq.' Hampshire Advertiser, 11 Jan 1851.
|This article about a village or hamlet on the Fleming Estate is a stub. You can help The Muniment Room by expanding it.|