The Muniment Room:About
From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
The Muniment Room is a website and database that uses wiki software to allow the easy creation and editing of any number of interlinked Web pages - on the subject of the former Fleming Estate, a landed estate in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It includes both editorial articles and user-generated content. It is owned and operated by the Willis Fleming Historical Trust.
The purpose of the Muniment Room is to explore the ways in which people, places, and documents link together across the four centuries of the Estate's history. In particular, it seeks to be a useful resource for family history, local history, and social history. Over time, we hope that the Muniment Room will build up a picture of: life and work on the Estate; its natural & built environment, and spirit of place. Today there are some 784 articles.
The Muniment Room is not yet a carefully crafted site for casual visitors; rather, it seeks to involve the visitor in an ongoing process of creation and collaboration.
Who writes the pages?
These pages are written collaboratively by volunteers. The main editor is Harry Willis Fleming, but many articles can be edited by anyone who registers. You can easily join in by creating an account and logging in. You are welcome to add further information, cross-references, or citations. You do not need to fear accidentally damaging The Muniment Room when you add or improve information. The software, MediaWiki, is carefully designed to allow easy reversal of editorial mistakes.
Some visitors will use The Muniment Room to acquire knowledge, others to share knowledge. You can view changes and additions as they happen at the Recent changes page. You also can view random articles. You may also search for articles, using the search box on the left side of the screen.
- Hints to assist the enquiries of visitors
- Sights to see here in the Muniment Room
- Copyright policy
- Things I can do to help
- Help with using The Muniment Room - The Muniment Room's general help desk, if other pages haven't answered your query.
- Use the Reference desk to ask for help with any questions, or in finding specific facts.
- The Notice board is a centralized place to find things to do, collaborations, and general editing help information, and find out what's going on.
- Ask a question about technical issues, policies, and operations of The Muniment Room