North Stoneham Park
From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
North Stoneham Common • North Stoneham Farm • Bassett • Northend • Swaythling • Burgess Street
|Nearly all those majestic oaks which grow in North Stoneham Park, in Hampshire are the durmast; and some of the finest oak timber that now goes into Her Majesty's dockyard is from thence. -Dr John Lindley (1799-1865), botanist and horticulturist, 1842|
North Stoneham Park, also known as Stoneham Park, was a landscaped country park, with a mansion of the same name, on the Stoneham Estate at North Stoneham. The park was about 1,000 acres in extent. It was the seat of the Willis Fleming family. It was surveyed by John Whitcher in 1818.
|The Trust is developing a comprehensive website about North Stoneham Park at www.northstoneham.org.uk/park/.|
The Georgian mansion, North Stoneham House, was demolished in 1939, and the Park disappeared after the estate was sold in separate lots in 1953. John Edward Arthur Willis Fleming died in 1949, and the Park was divided and sold by his heirs in 1953.
Stoneham Golf Club, which celebrated its centenary in 2008, occupies a large part of the former Rough Park, preserving much of the character of the landscape. The former Deer Park is now lost to sports playing fields. The central lakes belong to Eastleigh & District Angling Club. Another surviving area is Home Wood, managed by the Forestry Commission. In 1983, the M27 motorway was completed through the southern side of the park, followed in 1991 by the M3 through the western side.
- Avenue Park
- The Belvedere
- Common Barn Farm
- The Dairy
- Doncaster Farm
- Hicknor Hill
- North Stoneham Church
- North Stoneham House
- Old North Stoneham House
- Park Farm
- Stoneham Park House
- Stoneham War Shrine
- Temple Lodge
- White Cottage
- Winchester Lodge
- Currie, C. K. North Stoneham Park: its origin and development (1992)