Home    About the Trust    Collections & Archives
News    History    Muniment Room    Contact us

Welcome! Do you want to join in? If you already have an account, sign in now. If not, create one now.

Perambulation of the boundaries of the Fleming estate in the Isle of Wight, 1910

From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.

Jump to: navigation, search

Perambulation of the boundaries of the Fleming estate in the Isle of Wight, 1910.

IT BEING 78 years since the boundaries of this estate were beaten[1], and the boundaries having altered since then owing to purchases & sales, it was deemed necessary to perambulate them again. The meet was on the Eastern boundary of the Estate on the Binstead shore at high water mark at 11 o'clock when a start was made. The weather was showery on the 13th and fine on the 14th. The following were present by the invitation of John Edward Arthur Willis Fleming, the present owner of the Fleming Estate:-

John Brown Phillimore Willis Fleming (Jo), his eldest son
Richard Thomas Fleming (Dick), his second son

William Miller, Haven Street, aged 14 years
William Hayles, ditto, aged 13 and a half
Ernest Venus, Binstead, aged 14
Arnold Cook, ditto, aged 14
Evelyn Marvin, Havenstreet, aged 13
Jack Salmon, Haven Street, employee on the Estate
Herbert Russell, Haven Street, tenant of Leopards Farm
Harvey Brown, eldest son of Alfred Brown, tenant of Guildford Farm
John Venus, Binstead
Capel Morris, Binstead, owner of Brooklands and tenant on the estate
Charles Moorman, representing J. Scovell, tenant of the "Hare and Hounds" P.H., Downend
Frank Forder, son of Charles George Forder, tenant of Binstead Lodge Farm
Harry Fleming, tenant of Quarr Farm
William Salmon, Haven Street, Foreman to J E A Willis Fleming
and Arthur Arnold, Wickham, Hants, his Agent.

STARTING AT HIGH water mark, the boundary is the centre of the stream up to the roadway from Ryde to Binstead. The following going through: Messrs Jo & Dick Fleming, Jack Salmon, and the five school boys. Here Master Dick took an involuntary ducking in the pool on the Northern side of the roadway. Still keeping to the centre of the stream through the grounds of Stonelands, occupied by Lady Lording, and so on to Dame Anthony's Common (in the account of the last perambulation called Seven Acres Common). Then crossing the footpath to Ryde, keeping to the centre of the ditch to the end of the common where the boundary crosses the hedge. (At this point we were met by Harry Plumbley, sub-tenant of Kemphill Farm, and his son Harry.) So on to Stroud Farm, occupied by Mrs Riddett, an old lady in her 89th year on whom Mr Fleming called. Leaving Stroud Farm on the western side and crossing the Upton and Haven Street Road to a boundary stone, erected 1910, and marked with a 'P' on the eastern end, and an 'F' on the western side, and so on in a straight line to the next boundary stone marked in a similar way at the corner of Coleman's Wood House. This house occupied by Henry Plumbley, who entertained the company with refreshments. It was pointed out that the pathway leading from this house to Kemphill Farm Road was only there by permission and would only be allowed as long as Henry Plumbley was tenant of Kemphill (Plumbley agreed to this). From this house across Kemphill in a southerly direction until Kemphill Moor Copse is met, the ditch being the boundary in a southerly direction until Blackbridge Brook, the centre of which is then the boundary between the Fleming Estate and the Knighton Estate, until the old parish boundary is reached. Then crossing the I.O.W. Central Railway at right angles, leaving Chillingwood Copse on the eastern hand and following the parish boundary until Chillingwood Brook. Then crossing the brook and following the ditch until the brook is again met, and on to the end of Little Chillingwood Copse, there turning south east and skirting the south end of Little Chillingwood Copse in a south eastern direction for the distance of one field; then turning due south and so on to the old chalk pit to the northern slope of Mersley Down. Leaving the chalk pit on the eastern hand to the foot of the down; then turning easterly for 17 chains; then northerly for 4.5 chains, until the parish boundary be hit, which is the boundary until the land from Duxmore Farm to Mersley Down be hit. Then following the lane and the parish boundary in a southerly direction to the high roadway leading from Mersley Down to Newport, then in an easterly direction leaving the high road on the south and still following the parish boundary to a point 5 chains from the junction of the Duxmore Lane. (Here met by Ernest Loe and William Orchard, his employee on Haseley nearly all his life, and Cecil James, aged 15, also an employee.) A boundary stone dated 1910 was erected by Master J. and R. Fleming (Mr Carter objected to this, declaring that the boundary was the centre of the road). Then crossing the road and turning almost due south, following the parish boundary, to the road leading from Mersley Lime Kilns to Newport, which was crossed in a southerly direction. And so on to the watercourse as far as the footpath from Langbridge to Heasley Farm, and then southwards, the boundary being the centre of the water-course. Going through the culvert, crossing the railway till the River Yar is met, following the river in a westerly direction, the centre of which is the boundary, until the railway is again hit. Crossing the railway which is the boundary to a point about 12 chains east of Horringford Bridge, there turning north about 4 chains (the post & wire fence being Fleming and the bank & ditch, Martin). Then east until the roadway leading from Arreton Village to Horringford Bridge known as Arreton Street is met.

End of the first day's perambulation, distance about 8 miles.

[Continues ...]


  1. Perambulation of the boundaries of the Fleming estate in the Isle of Wight, 1832
Personal tools