The 1916 war diary of 2nd Lieut. Dick Willis Fleming


About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Dick published on July 11, 1916 11:59 PM.

10 July 1916 was the previous entry in this blog.

12 July 1916 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

11 July 1916

Posted by Dick on July 11, 1916
I went down to Kantara by the six o'clock train from Romani this morning. I had breakfast with the ammunition column when I got there. Drew some money from the Field Cashier and payed off the men. I went and had a bathe in the canal with Jackson and Hawkins of the West Riding Battery. The water was very greasy and full of jelly fish. I lunched with the column, they were in great form.

The West Ridings are coming up to Romani within the next few days, so everything was in confusion. The Essex Battery are still in quarantine; it is paratyphoid they've got. When they are fit I believe they are coming to take our positions up here, and we are going to Romani to act as a mobile battery for any stunt that may come off. A battery of 60 pounders is also coming up here I believe.

Left Kantara by the four o'clock train and got here about six thirty. Divisional Headquarters are up here now and the new general was coming up in the train tonight. He has been brought from Salonika. General Lawrence has handed over the 52nd Division to him, and he himself is going to command No 3 Section Canal Defences, The Colonel came up for the night this evening as Brigade Headquarters are moving up here tomorrow.

1 Comment

| Leave a comment

Of the early portion of this month there is little to record. Captain Pulteney returned to England on 6th. On 7th, a small percentage of the men were granted leave to Sidi Bish, whither the 156th Brigade proceeded for a rest; and the defences of Mahamdiya were taken over by the 157th Brigade.

The Kantara-Romani railway, which was being continued eastward, had now reached almost to El Rabah. The decaville railway from Port Said was now allowed to carry passengers, and was useful for mess stores.

On 9th, teams were sent out to bring in the engine of a British 'plane which had crashed close to Ogratina. Two days later a German aeroplane flew over. Four shots were fired at it by the Mountain Battery at Romani. On 11th, orders were received to proceed, shortly, to Kantara, giving up the positions to the Essex Battery. As so much work had been done, this was considered unreasonable, and every endeavour was made to avoid the move.

Leave a comment