From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
Built around 1736, this white landmark stood at the high north-west corner of the Park. Jeremiah Milles described the Belvedere in 1743:
|On the bleak common ... Mr Fleming built a most beautiful summer house, about 5 or 6 years ago. It consists of one room most beautifully and richly adorned with stucco both on its sides, and the roof: & is one of the compleatest rooms of the kind yet I ever saw. In the front of it is an Ionick portico of 4 pillars, in a very good taste: & underneath is a kitchen, larder, & other conveniences for dressing dinner; Mr Fleming often dining here in the summer time. –Jeremiah Milles, 1743|
By 1819, the architect Thomas Hopper had converted and remodelled the Belvedere as a triumphal arch, Stoneham’s principal gateway, including a replica of part of the Parthenon Frieze. The architect C R Cockerell described it as 'an ostentatious gateway in a beautiful view', but J Hewetson was more effusive:
|The Belvedere Lodge, at the upper part of the Park, erected after designs from Mr Hopper, is probably the most splendid in the kingdom, arising as well from the incomparable beauty of its situation, as from the remarkable taste displayed by its architecture.|
It was mostly demolished around 1900, although a portion remained in use as a lodge house.
Tenants and occupiers of the Belvedere
- Henry Marks (1851), occupier
- Caleb Thorn (1861), occupier
- Ann Thorn (1871), occupier
- Charles Tenman (1881), occupier
- Marianne Ellis (1891), occupier
- - Biggs (1911)
- Harry Snelgrove (early 20thC)
- ↑ Copy conveyance of Belvedere Lodge, 1951 (WFMS:1861 )
- ↑ John Bullar, A Companion in a tour round Southampton, second edition (1801): 'Having crossed the Itchen, which here beautifies and fertilizes the country, we pass, on the left, the paper-mill of Mr. Gater, pleasantly situated, and decorated with willows of uncommon luxuriance. At the fourth mile-stone, we ascend a steep hill, and in the retrospect catch a pretty view of Mr. Fleming's elevated summer-house.'
- ↑ 1851 Census
- ↑ 1861 Census
- ↑ 1871 Census
- ↑ 1881 Census
- ↑ 1891 Census
- ↑ Schedule of Fleming Estate Cottages, c1911
- ↑ Gamekeepers and the Shoot on the Stoneham Estate, remembered by D A Bunce