From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
|Proceeding onward, we arrived at the stone quarries, as they are termed ; but the sea, by its incessant attacks, does more towards loosening the stones than the labours of the workmen. All along the shore runs a vein of very durable stone, a part of which the waves, almost every tide, bring down. The scene here is totally different from most of the other parts of the coast, forming noble masses of true rock ... The works at Portsmouth are constructed of the stone from hence. When the weather permits, three or four sloops generally lie in the bay, in order to load with it. Its coat is proof against the unremitting attacks of time, or of the weather. The surface of it is much firmer than that brought from Portland or Purbeck; and it is held in higher estimation by the inhabitants of this island, who construct most of their dwelling houses with it. -John Hassell, Tour of the Isle of Wight (1790)|
It is mentioned in the Estate accounts for 1762.
|This article about a farm on the Fleming Estate is in need of expansion. You can help The Muniment Room by adding to it.|
- George Ward Esq. of Northwood Park (1817)