From The Muniment Room, a resource for social history, family history, and local history.
Arreton village (also known as Atherton, Adderton, Arreton Street) lay on the southern edge of the Downend Estate. The main part within the Fleming Estate was the detached 'Arreton Vicarage' grouping around St George's church, including the church itself, the vicarage, and the White Lion Inn.
Manor of Arreton
Arreton alias South Arreton, seems to have been a manor on the Isle of Wight Estates. Arreton Manor house and farm were historically not part of the Fleming Estate, although the church and vicarage did belong to the Estate. Yet John E A Willis Fleming was described as Lord of South Arreton manor, implying that Arreton manor was at some time partitioned (perhaps at the time the parish was divided into North and South Arreton in 1894). Despite this, the manorial title to 'Arreton' seems to have been sold by the estate in 1996.
- ↑ Draft release dated 1753, HRO 23M58/174
- ↑ A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 5 (1912)
- ↑ Burkes Landed Gentry, 1952 edition
- ↑ Sale of Fleming Estate manorial lordships in the 1990s