In Vitro Veritas pieces together the heraldic programme of painted glass formerly at St Nicolas Church at North Stoneham in Hampshire.
The series of twenty lights, with 38 coats of arms, was created in 1826 by John Absalom Edwards of Winchester, under the supervision of the architect Thomas Hopper (†1856). The scheme was based on a pedigree drawn up around 1724 by Browne Willis (†1760) that eagerly sought to demonstrate that the Willis and Fleming families had shared, noble bloodlines reaching back to the Middle Ages.
The windows were destroyed during the Second World War. Subsequently the fragments were put back — crazily but artfully — in the windows at St Nicolas and also at St. Michael & All Angels, Bassett.